©2016 Shanklin Bowling Club, Shanklin
Shanklin Bowling Club….
…has records of its existence starting in 1907, since then it has changed location and survived over a hundred winters. The Club consists of a large outdoor green of 8 Rinks and a clubhouse. The clubhouse has seating for many members and visitors alike as well as a fully licensed bar and functions rooms. In 1925 the local Billiards and Chess Club were destroyed by fire. This coincided with the Bowls club needing to find themselves a new green, a rather unpromising situation despite which the present club premises came into being. The History of the club is littered with innovative, inspired, motivated and dedicated members, starting with those who put their money as well as efforts into getting the club pavilion and green up and running all those years ago, right through to the present day. According to the Shanklin Gazette, Shanklin Bowls Club Opened in 1907 at Lower Hyde Farm and close to the railway line. It was opened on Wednesday the 15th of May by Dr Cowper, the local surgeon: his fascinating speech was recorded by the Isle of Wight County Press. By July in 1907 the game had become more popular and the club Boasted 70 members. Like most bowls clubs on the Island, the green had only 3 rinks, amazingly play continued through a longer season than today, the green remaining open into early November.
The Shanklin Emblem!
As incorporated in our new Centenary lapel badge and our blazer badge, this is the coat of arms and seal of authority of the former Shanklin Urban District Council. It was designed by Mr A.Batchelor, an heraldic expert, in 1927 and is made up of the following elements. The Crosses are from the coat of arms of William Fitz-Ozbern, who appointed at the time of the Norman Conquest. The white rose is taken from the coat of arms of the County of Southampton. The cross crosslets, set on a maroon background, are the arms of Henry Beauchamp, the first Duke of Warwick. He was crowned King of the Isle of Wight, a title given by Henry VI in the year 1444. He was the first and last King as no further kings were appointed. He died age 22 and it is believed he is encrypted along with his father Richard in St. Mary's Church in Warwick.
©2016 Shanklin Bowling Club, Shanklin
NEWS NEWS MEN’S FIXTURES MEN’S FIXTURES INDOOR SECTION INDOOR SECTION LADIES FIXTURES LADIES FIXTURES
Shanklin Bowling Club….
…has records of its existence starting in 1907, since then it has changed location and survived over a hundred winters. The Club consists of a large outdoor green of 8 Rinks and a clubhouse. The clubhouse has seating for many members and visitors alike as well as a fully licensed bar and functions rooms. In 1925 the local Bil liards and Chess Club were destroyed by fire. This coincided with the Bowls club needing to find themselves a new green, a rather unpromising situation despite which the present club premises came into being. The History of the club is littered with innovative, inspired, motivated and dedicated members, starting with those who put their money as well as efforts into getting the club pavilion and green up and running all those years ago, right through to the present day. According to the Shanklin Gazette, Shanklin Bowls Club Opened in 1907 at Lower Hyde Farm and close to the railway line. It was opened on Wednesday the 15th of May by Dr Cowper, the local surgeon: his fascinating speech was recorded by the Isle of Wight County Press. By July in 1907 the game had become more popular and the club Boasted 70 members. Like most bowls clubs on the Island, the green had only 3 rinks, amazingly play continued through a longer season than today, the green remaining open into early November.
The Shanklin Emblem!
As incorporated in our new Centenary lapel badge and our blazer badge, this is the coat of arms and seal of authority of the former Shanklin Urban District Council. It was designed by Mr A.Batchelor, an heraldic expert, in 1927 and is made up of the following elements. The Crosses are from the coat of arms of William Fitz-Ozbern, who appointed at the time of the Norman Conquest. The white rose is taken from the coat of arms of the County of Southampton. The cross crosslets, set on a maroon background, are the arms of Henry Beauchamp, the first Duke of Warwick. He was crowned King of the Isle of Wight, a title given by Henry VI in the year 1444. He was the first and last King as no further kings were appointed. He died age 22 and it is believed he is encrypted along with his father Richard in St. Mary's Church in Warwick.
©2016 Shanklin Bowling Club, Shanklin
MEN’S FIXTURES MEN’S FIXTURES LADIES FIXTURES LADIES FIXTURES NEWS NEWS INDOOR SECTION INDOOR SECTION
Shanklin Bowling Club….
…has records of its existence starting in 1907, since then it has changed location and survived over a hundred winters. The Club consists of a large outdoor green of 8 Rinks and a clubhouse. The clubhouse has seating for many members and visitors alike as well as a fully licensed bar and functions rooms. In 1925 the local Billiards and Chess Club were destroyed by fire. This coincided with the Bowls club needing to find themselves a new green, a rather unpromising situation despite which the present club premises came into being. The History of the club is littered with innovative, inspired, motivated and dedicated members, starting with those who put their money as well as efforts into getting the club pavilion and green up and running all those years ago, right through to the present day. According to the Shanklin Gazette, Shanklin Bowls Club Opened in 1907 at Lower Hyde Farm and close to the railway line. It was opened on Wednesday the 15th of May by Dr Cowper, the local surgeon: his fascinating speech was recorded by the Isle of Wight County Press. By July in 1907 the game had become more popular and the club Boasted 70 members. Like most bowls clubs on the Island, the green had only 3 rinks, amazingly play continued through a longer season than today, the green remaining open into early November.
The Shanklin Emblem!
As incorporated in our new Centenary lapel badge and our blazer badge, this is the coat of arms and seal of authority of the former Shanklin Urban District Council. It was designed by Mr A.Batchelor, an heraldic expert, in 1927 and is made up of the following elements. The Crosses are from the coat of arms of William Fitz- Ozbern, who appointed at the time of the Norman Conquest. The white rose is taken from the coat of arms of the County of Southampton. The cross crosslets, set on a maroon background, are the arms of Henry Beauchamp, the first Duke of Warwick. He was crowned King of the Isle of Wight, a title given by Henry VI in the year 1444. He was the first and last King as no further kings were appointed. He died age 22 and it is believed he is encrypted along with his father Richard in St. Mary's Church in Warwick.
FIXTURES FIXTURES NEWS NEWS INDOOR SECTION INDOOR SECTION
Menu